My Guide Website?
Durban: Boat-Based Whale Watching Experience4 Reviews
Cruise for 2 hours out onto the Indian Ocean and watch migratory humpback whales up close. Discover more about them with a fully qualified guide, and keep an eye out for other local marine life.
- Marvel at humpback whales in their natural habitat
- See these gigantic mammals play and swim on their arduous migratory trek
- Learn about the life, behavior, and characteristics of the whales with a qualified guide
- Discover other local marine life, such as dolphins, fish, and birds
DescriptionTake an exhilarating 2-hour cruise into the Indian Ocean and encounter one of the world's most magnificent mammals, the humpback whale, at close range. Admire the inquisitive whales in their natural habitat, and learn about them and other local marine life with a fully qualified whale tour guide. After greeting your guide at the meeting point, board your 11-passenger semi-rigid inflatable boat, registered with SAMSA as a suitable Whale and Dolphin Watching boat since 2012 and holder of one of the limited whale watching permits in Durban. Head out onto the deep blue ocean toward the Mozambican current, and enjoy the views from your front-facing seats with the skipper/crew behind you. From June to November every year, look out for the spectacular breaches of the whales above the water as they travel on their migratory route from the Southern Oceans to warmer tropical waters for mating and giving birth, and on their return toward the nutrient-rich waters of Antarctica. If you're lucky, delight in the mesmerizing experience of a mother feeding or playing with her calf, or older calves jumping and teasing one another, seeking the attention of the adults. As well as whales, this tour offers the opportunity to watch dolphins frolicking in the swells and, on occasion, see turtles come out of the awesome clear depths to feed on what's on the surface. Marvel at the local wildlife big and small, from birds and fish to the enormous humpback whales themselves, which reach approximately 15 meters (49 feet) in length and weigh about 30 tons.
Includes2-hour whale watching boat trip Fully qualified guide Gratuities Food and drinks
- This tour is not recommended for people with limited mobility or pregnant women
- The Rigid Inflatable Boat is the most suitable for a comfortable whale watching experience
- Swimming with the animals is not permitted
- No food is provided aboard but you can take some snacks along. There is a restaurant where you can purchase food and a big selection of restaurants to choose from at the end of the excursion
- A bottle of water is advisable
- If you are prone to getting motion sickness, it's advisable to take tablets for it a day in advance
- Take your own camera and hat with sunscreen on warmer days
- Please arrive at the meeting point 15 minutes before the activity starts
Easy cancellationCancel up to 24 hours in advance to receive a full refund
Reserve Your Experience
Instant Booking ConfirmationBook Now