Durban: Drakensberg Rock Art & Mandela Capture Site Tour
Hike up the Drakensberg to the site considered the Rosetta Stone of SAN (Bushman) rock art. Unlock this mysterious place with an expert anthropologist. Trek on through the Midlands Meander, and visit Ardmore Ceramics and the Nelson Mandela Capture Site.
- Hike up through Kamberg/Drakensberg to the Rosetta Stone of SAN or Bushman rock art
- Spend the day with a specialist anthropologist learning about SAN/Bushman culture and beliefs
- Visit an internationally recognized, award-winning ceramics workshop
- Find out more about apartheid South Africa at the Nelson Mandela Capture Site
- Take in the gushing beauty of Howick Falls as it crashes into the Umgeni River
DescriptionGet picked up bright and early at your hotel at 6 AM and start your trip toward the mountains. Make your way to Kamberg, part of the Northern Drakensberg mountain range and home to the Rosetta Stone of SAN (Bushman) rock art. Upon arrival, meet your anthropologist guide, Dr Jeremy Hollmann, a specialist in early civilization rock art in Southern Africa, and watch an introductory video to understand the context of the people who inhabited this area. Then, follow Dr. Hollmann through the rugged terrain all the way up to Game Pass Shelter where he will delve deeper into the anthropology of the SAN people. There are several spots along the way which he will bring to life with historical anecdotes and anthropological theories. At Game Pass Shelter, take in the mystery of Bushman rock art, and explore theories and beliefs that underpin the art and culture of the SAN/Bushmen of Southern Africa. Tuck into lunch at the Nottingham Road Brewery (at your own expense), and try out the local craft beer, if you like. Thereafter, continue along the Midlands Meander and visit the internationally acclaimed Ardmore Ceramics. Watch the ceramicists at work when the studios are open, and maybe even buy a keepsake. Your penultimate stop is at the iconic Nelson Mandela Capture Site for a peek into South Africa's notorious history and a bucket list photograph. Finish your tour witnessing the water gushing or trickling down (depending on the time of year) at Howick Falls as it flows into the Umgeni River. Finally, head back to Durban with your expected time of arrival set for 7 PM.
IncludesHotel pickup and drop-off Bottled water Light snacks All entrance fees Food Gratuities Additional drinks
- Please note: while this hike only requires a basic level of fitness, travelers with mobility issues will not be able to complete it. It is a hike that will push you and can test you at times as it goes from 1,500 meters (4,921 feet) above sea level to 2,200 meters (7,218 feet) above sea level. A couple of rest breaks are taken during the hike and the hike is conducted at a pace that suits the group. Please respect the fact that you will be hiking with travelers of varying levels of fitness
- Hotel pickup and drop-off are available in Durban Central, Durban North, Durban Beach, Durban, La Lucia, Umhlanga, Dolphin Coast, Tongaat, Salt Rock, and Umdloti
- This tour will not take place in heavy rain
Easy cancellationCancel up to 24 hours in advance to receive a full refund
Book an Experience
Reserve your experience nowCHECK AVAILABILITY