My Guide Website?
Sani Pass: Day Tour from Durban6 Reviews
A day-trip to the Sani Pass, one of the most spectacular and scenic mountain passes in Africa. Departing from and returning to Durban, this is a must for any tourist traveling to Kwa-Zulu Natal.
Our Top Experiences and Tours in Durban:If youʻre booking your trip to Durban last minute, we have you covered. Below are some of the top tours and experiences!
- Visit the highest pub in Africa
- Visit a Basotho village to interact with the local community
- Return via the steep hair-pin bends of the Sani Pass
DescriptionBeginning early at 6:00AM from the coastal city of Durban, your professional driver will collect you from your hotel in a well maintained vehicle, before you head out of the city towards the mountains. After passing the historical city of Pietermaritsburg, your tour will turn towards the Southern Drakensberg Mountain Range. For the next hour you will pass through mountains and valleys, which are dotted with small rural villages steeped in traditions. At approximately 9:00AM, you will arrive at the tiny mountain town of Underberg, which lies at the base of the Sani Pass. Here you will transfer to a comfortable 4-wheel-drive vehicle. Without a doubt, the Sani Pass is one of the most spectacular and scenic mountain passes in Africa. It lies between the Southern Drakensburg Mountains and the landlocked country of Lesotho, and your highly experienced and professional guide will take you through the South African border control. For the next 8 kilometers, the gravel road winds steeply up the pass towards the summit of the Drakensberg to the Lesotho border post. The sharp bends and panoramic mountains make this a photographer's paradise, in an area which has been described as 'Southern Africa's Switzerland'. Once there you will visit a local living Basotho village where you can learn about their customs and traditions. This village was originally built to care for the shepherds in the mountains, who tend flocks the year round, you may even be lucky to catch a glimpse of these tough blanket-clad men. Following this you will head towards the 'highest pub in Africa' for some well earned refreshments, and perhaps even a taste of the local Maluti Beer if so inclined. Following your adventure is a gentle drive back to Durban, which will will see you at your destination at approximately 6:30PM depending on weather and traffic conditions.
IncludesReturn transfer from Durban to Underberg Professional guide and 4-wheel-drive vehicle to take you up the Sani Pass All cross-border fees and Lesotho tourism charges A visit to a living village with a bread tasting A visit to the highest pub in Africa
- • Valid passports are essential (in some cases a visa may be required for Lesotho which can be obtained online)
- Bring warm jackets and comfortable clothing
- Remember to bring sunscreen, binoculars, cameras and sunglasses
- There will be a few toilet stops when you get to Underberg, so please make use of facilities when available
- The restaurant at the highest pub accepts South African Rands and credit cards however, have loose change with you should you wish to purchase handcrafts
- Please ensure that you are ready for the collection on-time in order not to delay the tour